Hi everyone, my name is Joe Scarchilli. I currently write for my own site skybluesofny.com which I encourage you all to check out. Anyway, Andres asked me to write up some Power Rankings for the site. A little background on how I do my rankings; I look at the last 6 matches – sometimes more – and evaluate their form meaning I look at wins draws and losses. I try to watch as many matches as I can and take a look at how a team actually played. You can go back through my site and check out all of the power rankings since week 1. Well, without further adieu here’s my Week 16 Power Rankings.
20) Philadelphia Union: Yikes. The Union got crushed this weekend. I’m not sure “crushed” is even a strong enough adjective.
19) Chicago Fire: BYE WEEKS ARE STUPID
18) Colorado Rapids: The Rapids remain the most boring team in the MLS
17) New York Red Bulls: Make no mistake. I’m not putting the Red Bulls here because they face NYCFC on Sunday, or because I just don’t like them. NYRB deserves to be this lo; plain and simple. They are winless in 5 with 4 straight losses.
16) Real Salt Lake: RSL got back to winning ways with a solid home win over Sporting Kansas City
15) New York City FC: 3 wins in a row!! NYCFC is also back in the playoff picture. In the last two weeks, NYC has beaten 2 Eastern Conference rivals. On top of that, Frank Lampard is set to join on the 8th, along with Iarola and Angelino – and maybe Pirlo – and, David Villa is finding his feet in the MLS
14) San Jose Earthquakes: The Earthquakes managed a good away win over top team Seattle Sounders over the weekend. The Quakes are still an inconsistent team but a win is a win.
13) Montreal Impact: Speaking of consistency, Montreal now has 4 wins in the last 6. You won’t win them all, but that kind of form is what it takes to get into the playoffs and make a run.
12) Columbus Crew: BYE WEEKS ARE STUPID
11) FC Dallas: Dallas may be the streakiest team in the MLS. They’ll go unbeaten for 5 then lose or draw the next 5. They’re 0-3-3 in the last 6, get it together!
10) Orlando City: Despite losing, Orlando jumps up 1 spot here, thanks to bye weeks and poor play of surrounding teams. Anyway; Orlando is planted in 3rd in the East right now at the halfway point in the season. Good Stuff from the new boys
9) New England Revolution: The Revs lost again this week. This loss makes 3 losses in the last 6. Maybe the Revs just had an easy early schedule. They’re benefiting however and remain in 2nd in the East
8) Houston Dynamo: Despite being towards the bottom of the West and losing over the weekend, Houston is still in decent form. 3 wins in the last 6 is good enough to keep them just inside the top 10 here.
7) LA Galaxy: LA demolished an extremely poor Union side over the weekend. 5 goals from 5 players including 3 in the space of 10 minutes was enough for a blowout win. 22 year old Sebastian Lletget scored the 5th and final goal. He now has 2 goals in the last 2 matches. After coming over from the West Ham academy, he could end up being very good business.
6) Toronto FC: Toronto had to fall here. They lost 2-0 to the Blue half of New York, and never really got anything going. When are coaches going to stop playing Bradley as an attacking midfielder? He’s much more effective when he can see more of the pitch
5) DC United: DC got back to winning ways with a 2-1 home victory over the Revs. They have the most points in the league, but are just 3-3 in the last 6 games.
4) Portland Timbers: 4 wins in the last 4 games. There’s not much to report here just know the Timbers are in good form.
3) Seattle Sounders: Last week, I had the Sounders at #1. I felt wrong about doing it. Now they’ve lost 2 of the last 3 including a loss at home to San Jose over the weekend. It’ll be interesting to see how the Sounders cope with the Gold Cup as both Brad Evans and Clint Dempsey will miss considerable time after being named to the 23 man squad.
2) Vancouver Whitecaps: The 3 Pacific Northwest teams in a row! Vancouver is 3-3 in their last 6 including a win over the Red Bulls over the weekend.
1) Sporting Kansas City: SKC resumes their rightful place at the top of the rankings. They’ve consistently been the best team and after going for 7 unbeaten, they lost a close one to RSL. Looking at the last 6 games, they are easily the best in the league at the moment.