As always, this weeks edition of the MLS Power Rankings has lots of rises and falls. The Sounders are in total free fall while cross town rivals, NY Red Bulls continue their ascent.
20) Chicago Fire: Chicago is now winless in their last 3. They are last in the MLS for points with just 19 through their 20 games. They did however manage a draw against Eastern Conference Rivals New England
19) Philadelphia Union: Philly have now dropped their last 2 against Toronto and DC United. They had multiple opportunities to grab at least a point against DC but failed to capitalize on opportunities.
18) San Jose Earthquakes: San Jose has now lost 4 in a row shipping 11 goals in the process. I’d say something needs to change, but really, everything needs to change.
17) Seattle Sounders: Seattle has lost 5 of their last 6. With Martins out injured and Clint and Evans on international duty, they struggled. Martins hasn’t been cleared yet, but Clint and Evans are back. They will hope a change of fortunes is in store.
16) New England Revolution: After losing 5 straight, the Revs have now won and drawn their last 2 matches. They beat Eastern Conference rivals in both games so they jump from last weeks 19th placed finish
15) Orlando City: Orlando fell out of the playoff race with their 3rd straight loss. This makes the new boys winless in 4. They managed to put 3 past NYCFC, but their defending was terrible.
14) Real Salt Lake: RSL climbs on the back of 2 straight home wins over Western rivals Sporting KC and the Houston Dynamo respectively. The SKC win was especially impressive as they were the best team in the league coming into the match.
13) Montreal Impact: 2 wins and a loss in their last 3 matches has Montreal playing decently right now. They beat up on Columbus before losing to SKC. They beat the Sounders over the weekend, and it was announced that Didier Drogba would be coming to Canada yesterday.
12) Colorado Rapids: BYE WEEKS ARE STUPID
11) Houston Dynamo: Houston is in a similar situation to Montreal. They’ve won 2 of their last 3 including a trouncing of the LA Galaxy on home soil.
10) Toronto FC: Toronto and Columbus played to an exciting 3-3 draw over the weekend. In 2 of their last 3 games they’ve shipped 4 and 3 goals. The defense has always been an issue, and it doesn’t look like anything is being done to remedy that.
9) New York City FC: Speaking of bad defense; NYCFC’s defense is still not good. The recent acquisitions of Angelino and Iraola have improved the fullback positions, but competition at center back is thin and the healthy defenders aren’t great. Other than that though, NYCFC is in pretty good form winning 3 of the last 6 and currently sit in a playoff spot.
8) Portland Timbers: The Timbers are now winless in the last 3 with losses coming against Philly and Dallas and a draw to derby rivals Vancouver. They fall 4 spots from last week’s power rankings.
7) DC United: DC despite being comfortably fixed at the top of the east is in indifferent form right now. They scrapped out a tough one against Philly this weekend, but were winless in their 3 games preceding this weekend. A team at the top should be more consistent.
6) Columbus Crew: The Crew are now unbeaten in their last 3. Kei Kamara is scorching right now, scoring at will. Speaking of Wil, Trapp is playing at a top level right now. He’s completed 136 passes in his last 2 matches, more than anyone else on Columbus per whoscored. His return has seen Columbus start to boss games once again.
5) Vancouver Whitecaps: Vancouver got back to winning ways beating West Coast rivals San Jose 3-1. They move up 1 spot this week.
4) LA Galaxy: LA falls 1 spot after a less than impressive performance over the weekend. They were beaten at the hands of Houston and will want to forget that one quickly.
3) New York Red Bulls: The Red Bulls have been climbing recently. They move up 5 spots after improving to 4-2 in the last 6. These performances have been built on the back of solid defensive play.
2) Sporting Kansas City: SKC will feel they dropped points this week to RSL, but Benny Feilhaber is going to make it very difficult for Jurgen to ignore him for much longer after he scored another ridiculous goal.
1) FC Dallas: Dallas is back at the top of the rankings. They’ve been on fire lately, They’ve been in scorching form. Ok I’m done with the puns. But really, they have been the best well on their way to being the best team in the MLS.