So, I’ve been super busy this week. Sorry it’s taken so long to get this week’s power rankings up, but here you go!
20) Chicago Fire: With just 1 win in their last 6, Chicago does not look good right now. Clean sheets are scarce, and goals are hard to come by. Something needs to change for this team, and quickly. They lost to Columbus twice in 3 days to add to the misery.
19) New England Revolution: The Revs took all 3 over an uninspired NYCFC side over the weekend for their first win in the last 6. Neither side looked good, but New England had the right blend of luck to grab the points.
18) Real Salt Lake: RSL won over the weekend, but didn’t do enough to move from last week’s 18th place.
17) Philadelphia Union: After going for 3 without a loss, Philly dropped the points away to Toronto over the weekend. Toronto was clearly the better side in this one.
16) Montreal Impact: Montreal lost away to Sporting KC for their 3rd loss in the last 6 matches.
15) Houston Dynamo: Houston is in totally average form right now. There are other teams playing better at the moment as reflected by their 2 – nil away loss to RSL.
14) Colorado Rapids: THE RAPIDS JUST WON 3 IN A ROW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.
13) New York City FC: June was NYCFC’s month. July has been totally indifferent. They lost to The Revs who were the worst team in the league coming into the match. It was a total disappointment.
12) Seattle Sounders: Yikes. The Sounders were at the top of the West just a few weeks ago. Now they can’t buy a win. They lost another one to make it 5 of their last 6. Deuce, Evans and Martins clearly are the Sounders, the sooner they return the better for Seattle.
11) San Jose Earthquakes: San Jose got smacked this weekend by a Stevie G inspired LA side. With Wondo gone, San Jose has struggled mightily.
10) Toronto FC: Toronto beat Philly at home this weekend. Giovinco stole the show, again. It was just another week for a good side.
9) Orlando City: Orlando was playing well. They just lost their 2nd straight match making them winless in 3.
8) New York Red Bulls: The Red Bulls have woken up again after falling asleep for a little while in the middle of the season. Led this week by a Sacha Kljestan thunderbolt, the Red Bulls took all 3 off of Orlando
7) DC United: It’s a good thing DC had a ton of early wins, because they have been poor as of late. The top team in the East is now winless in 3.
6) Vancouver Whitecaps: After an impressive run, Vancouver have now taken just 1 point from a possible 9. With an away draw against bitter rivals Portland over the weekend, the Whitecaps will be hoping to turn things around.
5) Columbus Crew: Columbus had a really bad stretch, but they’ve back at their best now with Kei Kamara leading the way. The reintroduction of Wil Trapp certainly doesn’t hurt either. They beat Chicago twice in 3 days, and have been climbing the rankings for the past few weeks.
4) Portland Timbers: Portland have lost and drawn their last couple matches, but they’re still playing well enough to keep them towards the top
3) LA Galaxy: LA is playing really well right now. Goals are easy to come by and defending looks like a breeze. The arrival of Stevie G, and the imminent arrival of Gio Dos Santos will only add to their firepower. With Gyasi Zardes capable out wide, a front 3 that includes Zardes, Keane, and Dos Santos with Stevie G under them will terrify defenses.
2) FC Dallas: FC Dallas is playing superbly, again. They are a streaky team, but when they’re clicking, they are great. They’ve won their last 4 and will look to all 3 points against Portland next time out.
1) Sporting Kansas City: SKC won yet again, on the back of more excellent play from All Star, Benny Feilhaber who now has 6 goals and 7 assists in league play. Without Graham Zusi, SKC has hardly lost a step, and continues to play top level soccer.